Eat to beat colds this winter


For me winter (ahem, autumn) snuck up and caught me by surprise, I've had a full on horrible cold for over a week now, although usually I don't get colds...

Why?

I eat to beat them that's why!

I am a huge fan of garlic, adding it to virtually anything I cook at any availability. A Spanish friend of mine told me that her grandmother swears by eating a clove of garlic every day. Yep, she eats a clove a day, not counting what she has in her dinner! The same lady moisturises with olive oil but I have to admit to not having tried that yet ;) Garlic is a powerful antioxidant with antimicrobial, antiviral and antibiotic properties as well as containing vitamin C. Garlic contains allicin, a powerful antibacterial, which is released when you crush raw garlic so it looks as though her grandma is right! If you can't stand the thought of eating raw garlic wikiHow has an alternative method here which may be easier to swallow... {geddit??! ha ha}

Honey is an antioxidant and has antimicrobial properties and being so smooth makes the perfect sore throat remedy, particularly when added to ginger, lemon, hot water and/or cinnamon.

Boosting your vitamin C if you are prone to colds or have a week immune system is a good idea during the colder months but you're not just limited to reaching for the orange juice. Chilli peppers, bell peppers, dark leafy greens such as kale, kiwi, broccoli, lemons & strawberries are all high in vitamin C, just don't forget to add iron to your diet too as iron is needed for your body to absorb extra vitamin C. If you're vegetarian then dark leafy vegetables are a great way of boosting your iron levels... try spinach, it's so versatile & I love it!

How do you evade the nasty cold?

No comments:

Post a Comment